Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels

Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

Essex Chronicle stories feed from registered users of the site and Northcliffe Media editorial

older | 1 | .... | 273 | 274 | (Page 275) | 276 | 277 | .... | 331 | newer

    0 0

    JOE PEARMAN'S late penalty salvaged a point for Heybridge Swifts as they played out a 1-1 draw with Thamesmead Town on Saturday.

    Tyrus Gordon-Young put the visitors ahead in the 14th minute at Scraley Road and it seemed that Swifts would be destined to suffer their second defeat in a row.

    But Pearman stepped up in the 89th minute to slot away the spot-kick that left Swifts 17th in the Ryman North.

    Swifts are in FA Trophy action on Saturday and travel to Ryman Premier side Lewes, aiming to make it into the third round qualifying.

    Pearman's late penalty salvages point for Heybridge Swifts

    0 0

    A WITHAM slimmer who successfully shed an impressive eight stone in two years, was driven to reach the milestone after being rejected from a ride at Alton Towers.

    Louise Weller, 24, went from tipping the scales at 19 stone, to weighing a svelte 11 stone.

    "I feel amazing, and a lot better for shifting the weight," said Louise.

    The Alton Towers ride rejection, coupled with her not being able to get a dress off the rail for her sister's wedding, sparked her into doing something about her weight.

    "I was holding myself back, and it was time to get my life back on track," Louise admitted.

    She took her first steps towards reaching her 11 stone target by signing up to her local Slimming World group, and religiously attended the weekly meetings with Julie Ambrose and the rest of the group every Tuesday.

    Julie, her Slimming World consultant, recalled the day Louise walked into her first meeting at Spring Lodge, Witham.

    "She arrived and wouldn't say boo to a goose. She was very shy."

    "When she revealed she joined because she had trouble with one of the ride's barriers at Alton Towers, and the fact she had to complete a "walk of a shame" past all the others, I started to cry.

    "She made a very steady start, and as time progressed the weight just kept tumbling.

    "Of course, as with anybody attempting to lose weight, there were tough and testing times.

    "Yet she got through them and has consistently lost weight and remained determined that she would do it. There was no negative mind-set at all."

    Louise continues to be a source of inspiration for others in their weight loss quests, according to Julie.

    "What is lovely for me is having her around, as our members are motivated and inspired by her," she said.

    Julie said Louise's personality blossomed as radically as her weight loss.

    "She has emerged into such a confident and happy girl, and wants to stay slim and healthy for the rest of her life."

    "I love going there and want to continue doing so, and to help Julie and the other girls," added Louise.

    Alton Towers ride rejection spurred 19-stone Witham woman to shed the pounds

    0 0

    A STRONG and determined performance by Chelmsford Ladies secured a valuable 1-1 away point at Wimbledon, after the home side took the lead after less than two minutes on the clock.

    Undaunted by the early setback, Chelmsford created some threatening play in what was an open and flowing first quarter. With the backline co-ordinated expertly by captain, Hayley Heggie, Wimbledon found it difficult to make progress on the Chelmsford goal but kept up their harassment of the defence and slowed down Chelmsford's attacking moves.

    Emer Acton was hugely influential in the midfield and spread the ball out to both flanks to stretch the Wimbledon defence and open up attacking opportunities. As Chelmsford built their pressure play an excellent reverse stick effort from Kate Maxey went just wide and this lifted the tempo of the Chelmsford game. A couple of short corners were won close to the end of the first half but without success and at the break Chelmsford were still one goal down.

    Adjusting their game plan for the second half, Chelmsford started strongly and another two short corners were won, but successfully defended by Wimbledon.

    As the half progressed a Maxey advance through the centre was blocked by Wimbledon defenders and the ball was sprayed wide to Sophie Green who had found space on the right and struck a high pace pass into the D. Collette Ager was first to react and made an excellent first time deflection of the ball into the net for Chelmsford's deserved equaliser.

    As the game progressed, Chelmsford's fluency and confidence grew and more opportunities were created but to Wimbledon's credit they fought hard to hold Chelmsford back and the match finished as a draw.

    Chelmsford then gave an excellent account of themselves in a hard fought Cup game, playing a feisty and skilled Premier Division Buckingham team, but the efforts of the home side were ultimately to no avail, losing 3-0.

    The first ten minutes saw Buckingham hold much of the possession and pressurised the Chelmsford defence. Buckingham won a series of penalty corners but had little creativity to offer and Chelmsford dealt with these and steadily built their own forward movements. As the end of the first half approached the teams cancelled each other out and the score remained 0-0.

    As the second period unfolded Chelmsford were on equal standing and pushed on looking for an opening goal. Unfortunately a misunderstanding in the Chelmsford defence allowed a Buckingham strike to roll across the line and an unlikely lead taken by the visitors.

    Buckingham took their lead to 2-0 following a penalty corner and with five minutes left on the clock, more pressure in the Chelmsford D saw a penalty stroke converted for 3-0.

    Chelmsford's next league match is at home to Horsham on Sunday 16 November with pushback at 2.00pm.

    Mixed weekend for Chelmsford Ladies in both league and cup

    0 0

    CHELMSFORD CITY'S loanee goalkeeper Tony Thompson has been recalled from his month's loan by parent club Rotherham United.

    The Millers have taken back the 20-year-old after loaning out another goalkeeper, Scott Loach, to Bury.

    It comes as a real blow to the Clarets who had a week left on their loan deal and had been hoping to extend his stay at Melbourne Stadium for another month.

    Thompson had played five times for the Clarets, making his debut in the 3-2 win over Havant and Waterlooville and keeping a clean sheet against Barnet in the FA Cup.

    Clarets manager Mark Hawkes told the Chronicle after the 1-1 draw with Hayes and Yeading: "If we want to extend it we can. It's up to us. The lads happy for it to be extended. We've got another week and a bit so we'll see what develops.

    "They are in contact with us every game. They're happy that he's playing an obviously the lad is. He's done well for us, he strikes the ball lovely, but it's not only that. If he wants to play he's got to do a lot of travelling and spend time away from home and if he's willing to do that then it will probably carry on.

    "He trains with Rotherham three times a week and then comes down for the various games he's got to be here. It's something we are looking at doing and seeing what options we've got."

    Rotherham manager Steve Evans told the club's website: "Tony has come back to the Millers from his loan spell at Chelmsford where he has done well.

    "We have made sure that every game has been watched and with his contract to be discussed in January it was important to have him back here where a full evaluation can be made of his progression."

    0 0

    Hundreds lined the streets of Essex yesterday to pay their respects to those who lost their lives in conflicts past and present

    Well-wishers and members of public fell silent at parades and services held to remember the sacrifices made by young men and women on behalf of the country.

    Photographers were also out and about at services across the county.

    We've selected some of the most eye-catching from yesterday's emotional events.

    12 memorable pictures from Remembrance Sunday in Essex

    0 0

    ARE you baking up a storm in the kitchen for a cake sale, dancing in your onesie, or taking a dip in a bath of baked beans? With just a few days left until Children in Need airs on our screens we want to know just how Essex residents are getting involved. 

    Last year's nationwide campaign raised nearly £50 million for children's charities, the largest amount it has ever accumulated, with £400k of that invested back into local Essex causes. 

    As an example last year's total helped Braintree Women's Aid, who provide refuge for victims of domestic violence, employ an additional child support worker to supervise and organise play sessions for children affected. 

    So whatever weird and wonderful form of fundraising you're getting involved with, we want to know. So please get in touch with us at the newsdesk on 01245 603360,or email your photos to newsdesk@essex

    What are you doing to raise cash for Children in Need?

    0 0

    ONE lucky shopper will be able to tick a gift off their Christmas list in the next few weeks as part of the city's Golden Ticket giveaway.

    Just under a month before crowds descend on the city centre for the launch of Chelmsford's late night shopping, the city council are set to release their 'Little Book of Christmas Offers', with one containing a Golden Ticket which entitles the recipient to a pair of designer sunglasses. 

    The discount voucher book, which has been published alongside a number of shops and restaurants in the city centre, with the lucky ticket will entitle its owner to a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses, sponsored by Blink Opticians. 

    It comes just three weeks ahead of the Christmas lights being switched on, on November 30, with music and entertainment from 3pm, a visit from Father Christmas, face painting and lots of festive food and drink. 

    The grand finale at 4.45pm will also be followed by a fireworks display to accompany the big switch-on. 

    Then the following Thursday, on December 4, late night shopping will kick off - perfect for busy people needing to get ahead with their shopping after work, or school. 

    Chelmsford City Council's Cabinet Member for Corporate Services, Councillor Nicolette Chambers, said: "Chelmsford's Christmas lights are always stunning - every year, I look forward to seeing them transform the city into a festive display. From the large crowds who attend the switch-on every year, it seems that a lot of people feel the same way. I hope everyone enjoys the performance and remembers to respect the people around them in a safe, caring manner." 

    To find out what else is happening in Chelmsford this Christmas, please visit the Council's website at:

    Golden ticket giveaway as Chelmsford gears up for Christmas shopping

    0 0

    A worker at Tesco got into the Remembrance Day spirit by rearranging the toppings on a pizza at the deli counter. This picture, taken today at a branch of the supermarket, was posted on Twitter and shows tomato and pepperoni rearranged in the shape of a poppy. But reaction to the picture, taken near Gatwick Airport, hasnt been positive everywhere, with some users describing it as tasteless. Leslie R. Woodhouse wrote: "Who says remembrance has been trivialized? I do!", while Tom Bailey added: "Is nothing beyond commodification? Tesco remembrance pizza?!" And Nicola Branch wrote: "How tasteless, yet another #TescoFail their pizza to remember the fallen soldiers of WWI."

    Tesco worker changes pizza topping to mark Remembrance Day

    0 0

    BURNHAM RAMBLERS suffered heartbreak on Saturday after conceding a last-minute own-goal to draw 3-3 with Barkingside.

    Ramblers took the lead in the first minute with Liam Burgess seeing the keeper off his line from the left wing and looping the ball under the bar and over the keepers out stretched arms.

    L'Heureux Menga was a constant thorn in the back of the opposition with his strength in holding the ball up and bringing others into play and he got his reward in 17th minute capitalising on a mistake from defence and keeper to out muscle the defender and slot home.

    Steve Carvell pulled one back to make it 2-1 at half time, but with the game getting an edge to it, Burgess scored direct from a corner before Carvell got his second after Burnham couldn't clear the ball out of defence.

    Leading 3-2 in the last minute, player manager Bertie Brayley under hit a pass into the corner, which was cut out and the ball returned down the same wing. And with the cross not dealt with, unfortunate substitute Stephen Ikumelo headed past Matt Belcher to equalise at the death.

    Last-minute own-goal denies Burnham Ramblers victory over Barkingside

    0 0

    A WITHAM man has been arrested after a pensioner was run over whilst on a zebra crossing.

    The 31-year-old was arrested after a serious collision in Southend where a 72-year-old woman was struck while crossing Sutton Road at the junction with the A1159 Eastern Avenue on Friday at around 2.15pm.

    The man was arrested at 7.15pm on Saturday, November 8, at a house in Witham, on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

    He has been released on police bail pending further enquiries until January 10.

    The woman remains in a serious condition in hospital.

    Witham man arrested as pensioner remains in critical condition after zebra crossing collision

    0 0

    MALDON AND TIPTREE suffered their first defeat in four games losing 3-1 at Dereham Town in the Ryman North.

    The Jammers have enjoyed something of a resurgence since Alan Kimble took over, but this defeat means they remain in the relegation places, in 22nd place.

    Things started well for the visitors with a well worked goal after just seven minutes, when Max Lette-Jallow got the ball out to Jack Stevenson and his precise centre was cleverly headed home by Cliff Akurang.

    Hopes of holding the lead for some time were soon dashed when just three minutes later the home side drew level when Maldon and Tiptree gave away a silly free kick on the edge of their penalty area. Aaron Key stepped up to put his precise kick round the wall and past keeper Lewis Moore's despairing dive.

    Dereham increased their lead on 29 minutes when a good cross from full back Frazer Blake-Tracy found Ryan Hawkins in the box and he fairly easily sidestepped a couple of defenders before firing past the helpless Moore.

    The third came after 58 minutes and it was not a good piece of defending by the visitors, who allowed Michael Clunan's long free kick from wide on the left to travel all the way to the far post where substitute Matt Hockley found himself unmarked and he was able to easily head home unopposed

    Then, with just a few minutes to play, the game suffered a 45 minute delay due to an injury to Dereham's Liam Upton that needed attendance by an ambulance. On the restart it was clear that both teams' hearts were in the game and it was a relief to all when the referee blew the final whistle.

    Lacklustre display as Maldon and Tiptree lose at Dereham

    0 0

    A WOMAN had to be cut from her car after hitting a tree on the A12 last night.

    Two ambulances, a rapid response vehicle, a Hazardous Area Response Team, fire crews and police officers rushed to the scene near Colchester at junction 27 of the northbound carriageway at around 9.45 pm.

    The Anglia Two crew of the East Anglian Air Ambulance flew overhead and used night-vision equipment.

    A woman in her 40s was trapped in her Citroen C3 after hitting a tree.

    She was given pain relief by a doctor and taken to Colchester General Hospital in a stable condition with serious leg injuries, neck pain and suspected limb fractures.

    A second woman was also taken to hospital by land ambulance with back pain.

    Woman cut free from car after hitting tree on the A12

    0 0

    A Southend man has been charged with conspiracy to steal as part of a national investigation into high-value museum thefts.

    The 48-year-old man from Southend was arrested last year with 12 other men aged between 25 and 67, as part of a series of warrants across the UK and Ireland by police forces and the National Crime Agency.

    They have all been bailed to appear at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on November 25.

    The 13th man, Daniel O'Brien, 44, of Orchard Drive, Smithy Fen, Cottenham, Cambs, was arrested this week and will appeared at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on Thursday morning.

    The group are charged in connection with a series of crimes over a four-month period at museums and auction houses across England.

    Chinese artefacts and rhinoceros horn were targeted in seven incidents - two thefts and an attempted theft from Durham University Oriental Museum and further incidents at Gorringes Auction House in East Sussex, Norwich Castle Museum in Norfolk, the Powell Cotton Museum in Kent and the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge.

    The 29-year-old man from Billericay was arrested with a 48-year-old man from Southend-on-Sea, a 44-year-old man from Belfast and a 26-year-old man of no fixed address.

    Three men aged 32, 36, 54 from London, three men aged 25, 42, 45 from Cottenham, Cambridgeshire, two men aged 34, 67 from Wolverhampton were also arrested and charged.

    The other people arrested last year who have not now been charged were released with no further action. 

    Southend man charged along with 12 other men over nationwide museum thefts

    0 0

    Fish and chip fans, you have spoken!

    We asked you to give a shout our to the best fish and chip and shop in the Essex Chronicle circulation area and you came up with dozens of suggestions.

    The 10 shops below received the most nominations on our Facebook page, and now we are looking for the best one.

    Simply pick your favourite from the shortlist below - you have until Sunday (November 16) to make your selection.

    The most popular five from that list will then battle it out to be named the best.

    The 10 best fish and chip shops in Essex: Vote for your favourite

    0 0

    A TATTOO artist and actor has turned film director, to produce a new movie which he wrote while inking the colourful people of Essex.

    Terry Coker, 43, appeared alongside Ray Winstone in the 2012 movie The Sweeney, and on Sunday (November 9) finished shooting On A Prayer, which was filmed in Maldon, on the River Blackwater, and at a house in Mayland.

    The film boasts a host of stars – including EastEnders actors Daniella Westbrook and John Altman, Eddie Webber, who starred in The Business, and Welcome to the Punch star Kris Johnson.

    "It was a great to finish filming and I've loved absolutely every minute of it," Terry, from Maylandsea, told the Chronicle.

    "I'd never had thought I'd make it as good as this. It just keeps on getting bigger and better.

    "It's taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get us this far, and everyone has chipped in to make it as brilliant as it is."

    Terry, who owns Cobra Custom Tattoo on Imperial Road, Maylandsea, has drawn from his own life experience and those he has tattooed to create the crime thriller, and describes the film as the story of "a family man who has to reach beyond his grasp for the safety of his family".

    But despite the gangster references, Terry has made a concerted effort to get away from your typical Essex shoot 'em up.

    "I think the film has a lot of artistic merit," he said.

    "I deliberately didn't want to make a gangster film. This is a story about a normal bloke.

    "In my opinion the whole gangster thing has been done now, so I wanted to do something a bit different."

    It has taken 10 months since Terry held auditions at the Sugar Hut in Brentwood to complete the film, which boasts a score with a track from 1980s icon Boy George.

    And Terry has high ambitions for the film, which he would love to see in cinemas across the UK.

    "I'd love to be able to get the film at a few reputable film festivals, and then see where we can go. Hopefully we can get a theatrical release in cinemas up and down the country," he added.

    Terry has been working on the script sporadically since 2004, and he has spent thousands of pounds of his own money to complete the project.

    He started working life as a monumental stonemason, before becoming a tattoo artist 14 years ago, and has two children, Courtney, 15, and Bradley, 18.

    After getting some advice from The Business director Nick Love, and The Departed and Sexy Beast actor Ray Winstone on the set of The Sweeney, he decided to launch his own movie project.

    And he has ambitions to keep producing movies, with a fresh idea for a new flick already being worked on.

    "I have started to write the script of another film, but its early days and we will see where it goes," he said.

    On A Prayer has now entered full post-production with a release date to be set for early next year.

    'It's taken blood, sweat and tears': Maylandsea movie maker is On a Prayer for next hit

    0 0

    NEXT week the junior swimming team from Chelmsford County High School for Girls will compete in two relays at the 57th English School's Athletic Association's National Secondary Schools Team Relays.

    The competition will be held at the London Aquatic Centre, at Queen Elizabeth Park, on November 22.

    The team, made up of Scarlett Morine from Year 7 and Year 8s Megan Samuels, Lauren Scott, Milly Ward and Rebecca Watt, have qualified for the 4x50m freestyle relay and the 4x50m medley relay.

    At the regional final they set the third fastest time in England in the freestyle relay, finishing in 2min 01.47sec and sixth fastest in the medley relay, 2.17.57.

    Georgie-Lou Sales, the school's swimming coach, said: "I am so proud of the girls, to qualify third fastest in the country for freestyle is more than we could have dreamt of.

    "The girls have bonded really well and have become an excellent team who are very supportive of each other.

    "We are all excited about reaching the national finals and cannot wait to compete and hopefully win."

    The head of PE at the school Sarah Bellamy added: "We are extremely proud of the girls for their achievement, especially as only 16 school teams qualified for each final from the 220 schools who entered the competition.

    "Miss Sales has been working with the team this season to bring them together as a united squad and we are so pleased all their hard work has paid off.

    "Hopefully, at the National Finals, they will go out and show everyone how talented they are. We wish them all the luck and will be cheering them on all the way."

    School's girls' junior swim team ready for national relay final

    0 0

    WALES will face their sternest test of their Euro 2016 qualifying group to date when they face Belgium in Brussels this evening.

    Chris Coleman's side top Group B with seven points following wins over Cyprus and Andorra and a draw with Bosnia-Herzegovina.

    But they can take encouragement from the fact they drew 1-1 with Belgium the last time they went to Brussels.

    Wales will be without the injured Jonny Williams, David Edwards, Simon Church and Sam Vokes while Andy King is suspended, but will welcome back Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey and Liverpool's Joe Allen.

    Belgium will be missing Manchester City's captain Vincent Kompany at the heart of their defence.

    Wales will be looking to beat Belgium for the first time since 1993 with the two sides meeting recently in the qualifying group for the World Cup in Brazil.

    Marc Wilmots' men won 2-0 at the Millennium Stadium but Wales earned a point with a 1-1 draw King Baudouin Stadium.

    The match kicks off at 5pm and will be live on Sky Sports 5.

    What time does the Belgium v Wales game kick off and what channel is it on?

    0 0

    TWO women were left unwell after a carbon monoxide leak in their Chelmsford flat in the early hours of this morning (November 16). 

    Firefighters were called to the first floor flat on Trent Road following reports of the leak which left a 19 year old, and a 21 year old woman feeling ill. 

    The area was made safe by isolating the internal gas supply by 3.40am and the two women were left in the care of the ambulance service. 

    The incident was left to be looked after by the gas company. 

    Carbon monoxide leak in Chelmsford flat

    0 0

    A FURTHER arrest has been made by police investigating the acid attack on Wayne Ingold in Witham. 

    An 18-year-old man from Lewisham, in south east London,has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm in connection with the assault on Mr Ingold, who had a corrosive liquid thrown at him as he collected his post. 

    The 54-year-old victim suffered burns on his face and neck as a result of the assault on Friday, August 8 as he opened the door to the communal hallway of his flats in Bramble Road.

    It follows the appearance of a second teenager, a 15-year-old from Mitcham, in south London, at Colchester Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, November 12, during which the teen pleaded not guilty to the offence of grievous bodily harm with intent. 

    The schoolboy was remanded in custody during the hearing to appear at Chelmsford Crown Court on January 19.

    Police have now bailed the 18-year-old to return to a police station in Essex on February 7. 

    Second teen arrested for acid attack in Witham

    0 0

    DESPITE facing a tense sing-off, singer Stevi Ritchie made it through to next week's X Factor thanks to the public vote tonight (November 16). 

    The Colchester dad was left in the bottom two acts in tonight's results show against Jay James but after both Mel B and Cheryl voted to keep him in the competition, the final decision was left to the public votes and Stevi made it through for another week. 

    There were tears from the Essex joker as he discovered he'd beaten fellow 'Overs' performer Jay. 

    A surprise vote of confidence came from former Spice Girl Mel B, who last night heavily criticised Stevi remaining in the show in the place of better singers, but said "tonight you actually sang" before giving him her vote. 

    And despite voting for Jay to remain in the competition mentor Simon Cowell added, "Stevi you were given to me as a wild card and I wasn't sure at the beginning, but I think the public have fallen in love with you."

    Boy band Stereo Kicks, including Bicknacre member James Graham, will also go through to the next stage of the competition following their performance of Mack the Knife with a 30-piece orchestra. 

    Stevi Ritchie saved by public vote on X Factor

older | 1 | .... | 273 | 274 | (Page 275) | 276 | 277 | .... | 331 | newer