Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels

Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

Essex Chronicle stories feed from registered users of the site and Northcliffe Media editorial

older | 1 | .... | 270 | 271 | (Page 272) | 273 | 274 | .... | 331 | newer

    0 0

    Pictures of the area where the bones of Angela Millington were found have been released by police.

    The remains of 33-year-old woman from Southend was found washed up on Foulness Island on Saturday, June 21 – it is not yet known how or when she died.

    Some bones were discovered by a group of ramblers in a salt marsh area as they walked on the island who called the police shortly after 1.45pm.

    A full search of the island took place and further skeletal bones were located before extensive forensic tests were carried out to identify the body.

    DCI Simon Werrett, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: "Angela's remains were found on a part of Foulness Island known as New Burwood Head on the Broomway Path, which is near the Great Wakering Stairs area.

    "We believe she may have ended up there by being carried on the tide as it would be very difficult for somebody to take her there."

    He added: "Angela led what I would describe as 'chaotic lifestyle'. She had no fixed address and would sometimes go for periods without making contact with her family.

    "The last time someone spoke to her was when she visited a Southend housing officer on November 21 2013. I would urge anyone who knew her to come forward with information."

    Anybody with any information is asked to contact the dedicated incident room on 01702 470173 during office hours or 101 outside of those times.

    Details of the appeal will be circulated on the Essex Police website and social media outlets using the #answers4angela

    The appeal also includes a short film which has been made available on the Essex Police YouTube channel.

    People can also give information to the independent crime-fighting charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their Anonymous Online Form at

    Crime scene pictures released as police say murdered Angela Millington had 'chaotic lifestyle'

    0 0

    CHELMSFORD Hockey Club's men's first team suffered a 4-1 defeat at Harleston Magpies in East Premier A Division on Saturday.

    In recent years Chelmsford have struggled to take points from the Magpies' fortress, but this year they traveled knowing they also boasted the league's most prolific attack and were only one point behind the league leaders in the table.

    Add to that the home side currently boasting the league's best defensive record this match was sure to serve up a high calibre contest.

    Chelmsford started the stronger of the sides, pinning Harleston in their own half, flashing some drilled crosses across the home team's goal during for the opening exchanges.

    As might be expected, the Magpies rode this early pressure, keeping out two penalty corners in the process, and when their chance came with a corner of their own, and seemingly with their first attack, they executed an all too familiar plan to take the lead by lobbing a deflection over the keeper.

    Perhaps shell-shocked that the initial dominance had yielded nothing, Chelmsford allowed Harleston to grow into the game and were then quicker to react to a whistle outside the Chelmsford D and pounced on a loose ball with an excellent finish to take a 2-0 lead into half-time.

    Nothing to worry about was the message for the green army at the break, only seven days ago their second half performance had secured them the points, so that's what they'd do again.

    But in spite of a positive start to the half by the visitors, the Magpies secured their third goal via a deft deflection, yet it didn't feel like the game was beyond the visitors.

    An instant response was needed and that's exactly what happened as an Adam Hunter cross was tipped in by a sliding Tom Woolatt which is becoming a common sight this season.

    With the score 3-1, Chelmsford seemed to shift up a gear. This, coupled to Harleston's change in mindset from probing attacks to breakouts meant the circle entries mounted on them but the pressure never told.

    What finally resulted was the home side filling their boots from another corner to deliver a deflating fourth goal and forcing the green team to leave the field scratching their heads at how they could dominate a game and come away with nothing.

    In the battle of defence v attack, defence won and delivered a lesson in how to grind out a result.

    0 0

    CHELMSFORD had to fight hard to secure a point at home to Sevenaoks in the Investec EHL Conference East.

    Dominating long periods of the first half through excellent cohesion between the midfield and forwards, Chelmsford had many forays into the Sevenoaks D and several attempts on goal.

    Although the final touch eluded them, Chelmsford continued to work patiently to build their attacks and for much of the first half hour their defence had a stress-free time.

    But with five minutes of the first half remaining, Sevenoaks stoked up their efforts and put together some fluent hockey. Ranging across both sides of the field, they built their most threatening period of the match.

    Chelmsford remained well organised and focused and denied Sevenoaks' attempts to push goalbound.

    At the start of the second half Sevenoaks were quickly into the attack and won a short corner, followed immediately by a second and this one they were able to put away to take the lead. 

    Chelmsford responded with tighter control and again had most of the possession and pressed forward

    Sevenoaks concentrated on defence, allowing Chelmsford to come forward in numbers, but always conscious of the potential threat from a breakaway.

    Twelve minutes into the half, Becky Budd showed skill and guile to press into the D, only to be met by a Sevenoaks infringement and a short corner was awarded.

    Kate Maxey's clean strike gave the home team their well-deserved equaliser and the scene was set for both teams to go up a gear an the attempt to win the match.

    Chelmsford's next league match is away at Wimbledon on Saturday November 8 with pushback at 2pm.

    0 0

    BRAINTREE Town manager Alan Devonshire praised Dan Walker and Simeon Akinola after the pair scored their first goals for the club.

    Both netted twice as the Iron battled to a 5-3 victory after extra-time against Weymouth in the FA Cup fourth round qualifying replay at Cressing Road on Tuesday.

    Devonshrie said: "Dan's been lacking goals, we've been lacking goals and for him to score a couple and also Simeon to score a couple was great.

    "I watched Sim last year and we signed Sim and he's still a young boy he's still learning the game.

    "He's got some great feet, that's the first thing that pointed me towards him. He will get better, he wants to learn and he wants to play higher, which is what I want and the lads have done really well today, he and Dan."

    Braintree Town boss praises goalscoring duo

    0 0

    Essex Police has confirmed they spoke to three people on board a Latvian cargo plane which was diverted to Stansted Airport this afternoon.

    RAF military jets were deployed this afternoon after air traffic controllers lost contact with the plane over Kent at around 4.40pm. The subsequent activity caused a large sound over parts of the county andEessex  

    The aircraft landed safely at Stansted airport at around 5.20pm

    An Essex Police spokesman said: "All three people who were on board have been spoken to by police, it was established that everything was in order and reason for the short loss of communication was due to a change in airspace jurisdiction.

    "Essex Police is not investigating the incident and the aircraft will be able to continue its journey to Birmingham when it is ready."

    Trio quizzed by police after RAF fighter jet escort plane to Stansted Airport

    0 0

    A Latvian cargo was escorted to Stansted Airport after it was intercepted by RAF typhoon jets over Kent this afternoon.

    The activity, caused after the plane lost contact with air traffic control at around 4.40pm, led to an explosive-lile blast over the county and parts of Essex

    It has since emerged the sound was a sonic boom caused by an RAF aircraft intercepting a Latvian aircraft. And a recording has since emerged on Twitter appearing to show the voice of one of the RAF pilots warning the plane that it would be shot down unless it regained contact. The pilot is reported to have said: "I'm instructed by Her Majesty's government of the United Kingdom to warn you if you do not respond you will be shot down."

    A statement posted to the RAF Coningsby Facebook page read: RAF Typhoon aircraft were launched from RAF Coningsby this afternoon to intercept a civilian aircraft that was causing concern to civil air traffic control.

    "The aircraft was escorted safely to Stansted.

    "During the operation, the aircraft were cleared to travel at supersonic speed - we apologise for any inconvenience or concern this may have caused."

    Sound of 'explosion' heard in Essex and Kent was sonic boom

    0 0

    THE glowing white façade of the historic Shire Hall is once again gleaming after nearly two years of renovation work.

    The scaffolding surrounding the Georgian house will be removed by mid-November, spelling the end of a £500,000 repairs project.

    Owner Essex County Council will finish marketing the 18th century complex in December before deciding on its future use.

    "I welcome the news this essential maintenance work at Shire Hall to address the deterioration of its outer fabric is virtually complete and on schedule," said Dick Madden, an Essex County Council cabinet member, city councillor and chairman of the Shire Hall reference group.

    "This is a much-loved building and we have used the best contractors and craftsmen to make sure the work is of the highest quality to preserve and enhance the character of this wonderful building."

    Shire Hall, formerly the city's magistrates' court before its relocation to New Street in 2012, was first closed in December of the same year when bits of concrete fell from the building.

    The repair project did not begin until April 2014 when Ongar-based construction firm Noble and Taylor were awarded the contract.

    Workers have replaced metal fixings, cracked stone and roof tiles, and repaired parapet guttering, parapet walls, metal railings, windows and timber frames.

    The unveiling of the Grade II listed building coincides with last week's opening of another listed building just metres away – Jamie Oliver's Trattoria restaurant, formerly Barclay's bank.

    "The work to Shire Hall will clearly enhance the whole quarter," said Malcolm Noble, Chelmsford Civic Society chairman and Shire Hall reference group member.

    "It also draws our attention to the three sculptures at the top which are now revealed in all their glory.

    "It's great, a real step forward for the city."

    The building is crowned with three classical stone sculptures representing three characteristics of a criminal court judge: justice, wisdom and mercy.

    He added: "Second to the cathedral, there can't be any question that it's the most significant building in the city and that is partly because of its position and because of its heritage to the city and how it takes us back to the days when it was an administrative centre for the whole county."

    Mr Noble said the reference group has received 60 suggestions for its future use, including as a place to hire meeting rooms, for weddings and as a general tourist attraction.

    Mr Noble said he was "not impressed" with a consortium's plans for a luxury boutique cinema, as revealed in the Chronicle in August. "That's too limited on its own," he said.

    "The civic society accepts it's got to be a sustainable future so there's got to be a commercial element to it, but above all we want it to be open to the people of Chelmsford as a community facility."

    New Shire Hall façade 'of the highest quality'

    0 0

    HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS boss Keith Wilson believes his team owe the club a good FA Trophy performance on Saturday and is looking for a turning point in their season.

    Wilson admitted he and his players had a "good clear the air chat" after Saturday's 4-2 Ryman North home defeat to Ware, which saw them go 4-0 down after just 19 minutes.

    This Saturday they travel to Surrey-based Ryman South side South Park, who hammered Cheshunt 5-1 away in the last round of the FA Trophy.

    "This could be the turning point," said Wilson. "We let the club down on Saturday and we need to put that right.

    "We're getting on a coach to go down there and that can help with team spirit. If we win, that coach trip back will be great."

    While some managers see the Trophy as the poor relation to the FA Cup, Wilson believes his team needs the competition to galvanise them.

    "It's not a distraction, it's a good competition," he explained. "With a bit of luck you can go on a good run.

    "My old team, East Thurrock United, are in the FA Cup first round and you can see what the feel-good factor of a cup run can do to the place. We could do with that confidence."

    The Swifts manager blasted his players after Saturday's defeat, which saw a brace from Kieran Bishop and strikes from Charlie Ledula and Albert Adu put Ware 4-0 up on 19 minutes, before Billy Hunt hit one back on 22 minutes and Neil Richmond netted in added time.

    "To be 4-0 down after 20 minutes is not acceptable," he said. "Take nothing away from Ware, they were the better side, but it was the manner of it that got me.

    "Normally when goals go in like that you see players get angry and argue among themselves. They just seemed to accept it.

    "I feel we underestimated Ware and we paid the price.

    "It's very frustrating. We're doing the good side of football well, with the passing and things like that, but we're not doing the dirty work, like tackling and defending."

    Wilson was hopeful that injuries concerns, Danny Barber (hamstring) and Neil Richmond (bruised foot), should be fit for Saturday's clash.

    Wilson wants Swifts to buck up their ideas

    0 0

    A DEFECTIVE pipe caused an acid leak at Bradwell nuclear power station sparking an investigation at the plant.

    In late September a "small quantity" of acid escaped from a pipe with all of the fluid contained at the site, on the banks of the River Blackwater.

    A Magnox spokesman said: "During ongoing decommissioning work of a new water treatment plant, a defect was located within a pipe that allowed a small quantity of acid to escape into a further containment hold.

    "This pipe is not used to discharge liquid from the site. All of the material has been contained on the site, there has been no release of radioactivity and no impact on the environment.

    "Regulators have been informed and an investigation is underway to ensure we can learn any lessons from the event."

    Magnox has spent £100m on decommissioning the old power station in the last year with the estimated revenue for the local economy annually estimated to be £19m.

    All of the 850 contractors are on course to finish their decommissioning work, which began in 2002, by next autumn.

    The plant will then be placed in the "care and maintenance stage" for between 85 and 105 years.

    In August the Chronicle revealed how Chinese corporations are understood to have chosen the Dengie, from a shortlist of locations, for a 3,000-megawatt station sitting beside the partly-decommissioned Magnox plant.

    Bradwell Power Station probe after acid leaks onto River Blackwater banks

    0 0

    A WITHAM man is on trial accused of the racially aggravated harassment and intimidation of a girl who accused his friend of rape.

    Perry Miles-Anderson, 25, of Orchid Avenue, pleaded not guilty at Chelmsford Crown Court on Tuesday (October 28) to one charge of racially aggravated harassment on July 2, 2013, and one of intimidating a woman who had made a rape accusation against a friend, who was later acquitted.

    The court heard the victim's police statement via video.

    She said: "I was walking across the park when a man called Perry was standing on the basketball court, he shouted 'Oi', but I ignored him, then he shouted it again, 'oi, you're a whore, you've ruined my boy's life'. I said 'how do you think your boy has made me feel?' and Perry said, 'nah it's all ******** and even if he did do that to you, you shouldn't go shouting your mouth because it's dirty and it's wrong, I'll kick your head in, I'll rape you myself. And tell your older brother and dad I'm going to smash them up'."

    The witness, who cannot be named for legal reasons, then said the defendant made racial insults outside her house.

    The trial continues.

    Witham man Perry Miles-Anderson 'threatened to rape woman who accused his friend of sex attack'

    0 0

    Motorists heading for the A12 this morning have been warned to expect disruption following a collision overnight.

    The carriageway is currently shut northbound between J19 for Boreham and J20 for Hatfield Peverel. It is expected to remain so for several hours, the Highways Agency said.

    One lane is also closed southbound.

    A  diversion is in place. 

    Motorists are advised to exit the A12 northbound and join the A130 northbound and then join the B1137 northbound through Boreham and Crix. 

    At Hatfield Peverel, they can then continue on the B1137 to then re-join the A12. 

    A12 partially closed at Boreham after overnight collision

    0 0

    A young pedestrian has died after he was struck by a number of vehicles on the A12 north of Chelmsford today (October 30).

    The man, believed to be in his 20s, was hit on the northbound carriageway of the A12 between Boreham and Hatfield Peverel at about 3am.

    An ambulance was called at about 3.45am and arrived within four minutes, as well as a paramedic car, but no one was taken to hospital.

    Inspector Scott Egerton, of Essex Police Roads Policing Team, said: "This is a tragic incident where a man has died.

    "The road will have to be closed for a number of hours during the rush hour but this is so important so forensic recovery work can take place so we can find out how he died.

    "Motorists are asked for their patience and understanding during this time."

    The stretch, from junction 19 at Boreham to junction 20 at Hatfield Peverel, is closed (as of 7.54am) for forensics examination by police and one lane southbound is closed.

    Motorists are reporting congestion all the way between the M25 and Colchester.

    Drivers travelling northbound are advised to leave the A12 at Boreham and take the B1137 through Boreham and passed Crix.

    Any witnesses to the collision or anyone who can help with any information is asked to contact the Essex Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101 or email

    Young pedestrian dies after being hit by multiple vehicles on A12 at Chelmsford

    0 0

    The entire northbound carriageway of the A12 between Boreham and Hatfield Peverel has been reopened following a fatal crash today (October 30).

    Vehicles are moving after the stretch, between junctions 19 and 20, was reopened at about 10.15am, giving way to the first wave of traffic led by a police car and motorbike.

    The closure caused queuing traffic and congestion at the Boreham Interchange and all along the A12 in both directions.

    A pedestrian, believed to be in his 20s, was struck by multiple vehicles on the road at about 3am this morning.

    An ambulance and paramedic car attended at about 3.45am but no one was taken to hospital.

    Anyone with information is urged to contact Essex Police on 101 or email:

    A12 reopened between Boreham and Hatfield Peverel after fatal crash

    0 0

    X Factor contestant Stevi Ritchie wants to prove the "doubters" wrong by performing a ballad on this week's show.

    The Colchester singer is winning over the nation with his own brand of humour after forgetting his words at his very first audition on the ITV show.

    And he also revealed that Witham singer and former contestant Olly Murs has given him his backing.

    "Its proper mental I'm here and I'm loving every single moment of life in here so far. And I just want to prove all the doubters wrong this week with a ballad," Stevi said.

    But the former cabaret star stopped short of announcing the mystery ballad he wants to sing because "it would spoil it for everyone".

    "People will be surprised and I think I sing the song quite good," he added.

    He made it to the live shows this year as a wildcard selected by Cheryl Fernandez-Versini.

    Life has certainly changed for the former call centre worker, who on Monday (October 27) took mentor Simon Cowell for a meal at a Harvester restaurant in London.

    And despite Simon's serious image, Stevi said the pop impresario got into the spirit of the occasion.

    "It was mental," he said. "It was just like two mates chilling in the pub, we didn't even know that the cameras were there.

    "Simon is a great guy and so down-to-earth. We get along well. Next time I said he needs to come out with me in Colchester – I suggested Roberts or my old favourite Liquid and Envy.

    "You never know he might be up for it."

    "I'm representing the older generation of Essex," he said. "We have Lauren Platt in here and James Graham and they are both real stars."

    "We're practically the same person," said the father-of-one, of Olly. "He's a fellow Essex boy and he tweeted me to say that my personality, my sense of humour and my voice has got me this far."

    Video: X Factor Stevi Ritchie backed by Olly Murs as 'quiz show host' past is revealed

    0 0

    AN ESTIMATED 10,000 people have flocked to a farm for a jam-packed spooky timetable of Halloween activities.

    The award-winning Hallowe'en Festival at Marsh Farm, in Marsh Farm Road in South Woodham Ferrers, has hosted its festive-themed shows and parades since Saturday.

    Celebrations conclude with its Monster Ball for children from 3 until 7pm today and tomorrow (Friday) in its big circus top.

    "It's been very successful," said the farm's creative marketer and memory maker James Martin.

    "The weather has been a fantastic help and Tuesday was our best day ever on the farm for Halloween in 30 years because of the weather and activities we are putting on."

    The farm has also put on a spooktacular-themed birds of prey show with the witches' and wizards' owls, a twilight parade, story-telling from the resident witch, a spell hunt treasure trail and a free pumpkin carving workshop.

    The farm is also hosting its off-diary tractor rides, petting rooms and its Grand National goat racing.

    "I'm hoping we can beat Tuesday with an even better day on Friday," added James.

    The show was voted best Halloween event in the county by this year.

    Crowds brave Hallowe'en Festival at Marsh Farm

    0 0

    A man was taken to hospital after police were called to his flat in Witham with fears for his safety.

    Emergency services, including police, were called to Guithavon Street at around 5pm yesterday (October 29).

    An Essex Police spokesman said: "Police were called with concerns for the welfare of a man in his 60s.

    "Officers attended and following liaison with paramedics they entered the property.

    "The man was taken to hospital by ambulance."

    Man taken to hospital over 'concerns for welfare'

    0 0

    A roofer headbutted and repeatedly punched a fellow drinker - knocking him unconscious - for trying to make him dance during a night out in Chelmsford.

    Lloyd Kenlen, of Jarndyce, Chelmsford, was in the Golden Fleece in Duke Street when he attacked Daniel Maloney at around 2am on September 6.

    The 26-year-old father of one pleaded guilty at Chelmsford Crown Court on Tuesday (October 28) to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was jailed for nine months.

    The court heard how Kenlen was drinking with friends after work when the Mr Maloney tugged on his arm to encourage him to dance.

    The 26-year-old reacted by headbutting and punching his victim twice in the face, knocking him to the floor and leaving him unconscious for around 10 minutes.

    Prosecutor Peter Clark said: "A witness said the first blow was a punch connected full in the face and the third and final blow was described as being 'a big left hook'.

    "It was this last blow that perhaps caused the most amount of damage.

    "The victim was knocked unconscious to the floor, was completely unresponsive and didn't seem to be breathing.

    "When the ambulance arrived he was awake but seemed unaware of where he was and was confused."

    'Mildly drunk'

    The pub management cleared the building of customers so the emergency services could attend to the victim.

    Mr Maloney was left with a black eye, bruising to his face, a swollen right cheek and thumb and was taken to hospital by ambulance.

    After the attack the defendant tried to flee the pub, but after pushing past one member of security, was apprehended by door staff and held until the police arrived.

    Lorna Glover, defending Kenlen said: "By the time of the assault the defendant was mildly drunk and was standing near the beer garden.

    "Mr Maloney was dancing around and pulled on Mr Kenlen's arm in an apparent attempt to encourage him to dance.

    "This behaviour angered Mr Kenlen in that moment and he assaulted him, that is not advanced as an example of provocation, Mr Kenlen wants to take responsibility for this offence, he apologises to the court and wants to be punished appropriately."

    He has 33 previous convictions including threatening behaviour, common assault, theft, stealing a car and assaulting a police officer as well as serving a four-week stretch in a young offender institute in 2008.

    Judge Anthony Goldstaub said: "For some reason you launched this unprovoked and unjustified attack. You headbutted him using you skull as a weapon.

    "You are an athletic man and a strong man and you should not use those attributes to inflict harm.

    "Your victim has a gap in his memory that you created by your unacceptable violence, at a time when people should be enjoying a peaceful evening."

    The judge also ordered Kenlen to pay a £100 victim surcharge.

    Chelmsford drinker Lloyd Kenlen knocked out man 'who tried to make him to dance' at the Golden Fleece

    0 0

    THE London to Norwich line is set to get a £170m boost in a bit to improve reliability.

    The investment package that will see the Great Eastern line connecting London Liverpool Street with east London, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk get improvements to the track, overhead lines and signals.

    The work will also include use of a "high output blast cleaning machine" that will scoop up crushed rock on the track, sieve up small pieces of debris and replace it with fresh stone.

    Network Rail say that this £42m technology cuts the length of the project from 12 to around two years.

    The Great Eastern main line carries around 1,300 passenger trains and 100 freight trains a day.

    Richard Schofield, Network Rail route managing director, said: "This essential upgrade is the railway's equivalent of resurfacing a busy road.

    "Running a safe, reliable railway depends on the track being in good condition – not just the metal rails, but the foundations on which they sit too.

    "We're using one of the most modern pieces of kit on the railway, meaning the majority of our work can be done while trains are running on the adjacent track."

    On the Crossrail line work will continue with additional passenger capacity and station refurbishments is also planned.

    Brand new trains will replace the existing trains used on services from Shenfield to London from 2017 and in Witham new track and points will be installed.

    Network Rail; say the work to upgrade the 60-year-old equipment in the Chelmsford area will be completed by 2015 with the rest of the line up to Ely scheduled to be finished by 2017.

    Network Rail £170m investment to try and improve service

    0 0

    TWO crews rushed to the Meadows Shopping Centre in Chelmsford this afternoon after a fire broke out in a shop.

    The small electrical blaze started at around 2.30pm in a fuse box cupboard in the Herbal Inn shop.

    But by the time the firefighters arrived the fire had been extinguished.

    Electrical fire breaks out in Meadows Shopping Centre in Chelmsford

    0 0

    Forecasters have predicted Friday night's Hallowe'en will be the warmest on record.

    Temperatures for Essex are expected to peak at 19C during the day, continuing the unseasonably warm October we've enjoyed all week.

    Low cloud and mist will clear to leave long sunny spells but cloud will keep it hazy and warm during the afternoon. The average temperature for October is usually 13C.

    The previous Hallowe'en record, of 21C, was set in 1968.

    It comes after the warm spell sparked fears of a pumpkin shortage, with farmers warning the mild conditions would result in them rotting.

    Halloween weather: Mild conditions will be perfect for trick or treaters

older | 1 | .... | 270 | 271 | (Page 272) | 273 | 274 | .... | 331 | newer